What is a Breast Reduction?
Breast Reduction is a surgical procedure where excess breast tissue is removed and the remaining breast is reshaped to produce a smaller, lighter, perkier breast. Often times breasts that have overdeveloped can cause painful stress on the back and interfere with daily physical activities. Breast reduction surgery is a good option for these women as the surgery is intended to enhance breast contour and reduce any physical symptoms associated with excessively large breasts.
request an appointment
Would I be a Candidate for Breast Reduction?
Breasts that are excessively large can lead to a variety of problems and symptoms including neck and back pain, headaches, yeast infections under the breast fold, and even poor posture. A very heavy full breast will pull on the internal breast ligaments causing undesirable stretching and sagging and an overall poor appearance. A properly fitting wardrobe can also be challenging for patients suffering from breasts that are disproportionately large. Anyone suffering from these conditions would be a candidate for reduction. Often times men can be candidates as well due to excessive weight gain, excessive weight loss, or recreational drug use that can result in the formation of breast tissue in men.
Top Reasons For Breast Reduction Surgery:
- Backaches, neck aches, skin irritation underneath the breasts
- Poor Posture due to breast weight
- Numbness of parts of the chest or arms due to breast weight
- Limited physical mobility due to breast mass
- Inability to participate in physical activity
- What Should I know about the Procedure?
This procedure can be performed as an outpatient, or in a hospital occasionally with an overnight stay. It is strongly recommended that the removed breast tissue is examined by a pathologist. The recovery period for this procedure is between two and three weeks, and the frequent complaint after surgery is a loss of energy in the early postoperative period. Usually, women who have undergone a breast reduction are among the happiest due to the sheer relief from the pain caused the strain of the excess weight of the breast tissue that was removed. The most common reaction tends to be “Why didn’t I do this sooner?”
Things to Consider
- Breasts are better proportioned to fit your frame
- Breasts have a firmer feel and appearance
- Better fitting clothes and improved personal confidence
- Surgery can alleviate shoulder, neck, and back pains
- Subtle scars due to incisions
- Moderate recovery process
- Possibility of decreased sensitivity of breast tissue